Sunday, June 18, 2006

What Dental Floss is best?

In my practice a common question is what type of dental floss to use. Remember, the most important function is to remove plaque from the teeth. I find that Glide or other flosses with low friction that are easy to pass between the teeth, do not remove plaque as well as thicker floss. My personal favorite for dental floss is Johnson and Johnson Dento-Tape. It is a heavily waxed floss that is somewhat sticky to the touch. It really cleans well. I notice when a patient switches to this floss; their oral hygiene becomes much improved. If your teeth are close together and tight, the Dento-tape may be a bit uncomfortable in places. I still feel the benefits outweigh the occasional discomfort as plaque control in the mouth is the key to a healthy mouth.

No comments: